Emergency Management & Response
Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) — the state’s livestock health regulatory agency — partners with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Veterinary Services to prepare for and respond to foreign animal diseases. The TAHC/USDA partnership depends on producers, private veterinary practitioners, and allied industry representatives to watch for and report potential signs of diseases and pests.
TAHC and USDA plan, collaborate, and coordinate with the state’s animal health-related agencies, agriculture industries, and other related agencies and parties, including universities, government officials and private veterinary practitioners.
TAHC and USDA have worked to prevent and respond to disasters, such as the introduction of a foreign animal disease, a dangerous tick or other pest, or an attack by bioterrorists. They are also ready to assist in response and recovery during natural or man-made catastrophes, including floods and hurricanes.
TAHC/USDA may assist in natural and man-made disaster responses in accordance with the FEMA Emergency Response Plan and/or the State of Texas Emergency plan in the following areas:
- Animal ownership identification
- Livestock restraint/capture
- Carcass disposal
- Coordinating livestock evacuation
- Consulting on animal health and public health concerns
- Chemical/biological terrorism issues
Information for Livestock Owners
- NEWS: 4/9 — Texas Animal Health Commission Awarded Outstanding Achievement Award for Horseback Team
- RADIO INTERVIEW: Amanda Bernhard Interviews with Farm Bureau — Preparing Livestock During Winter Months
- RADIO INTERVIEW: 6/18 — Jeff Turner, Director of Emergency Management, interviews with Tom Nicolette of the Texas Farm Bureau's News & Views about Hurricane Season — Part 1 Part 2
- NEWS: 5/30 — Hurricane Season Kicks off June 1: TAHC Advises Livestock and Pet Owners to Prepare Early
- TAHC Receives Excellence in Emergency Management Award
- Radio Interview: Amanda Bernhard interviews with the Farm Bureau News & Views segment about Protecting Your Livestock during the Winter Months
- Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD) Factsheet
- Protecting the US from FMD
- Video: TAHC/USDA Horseback Emergency Response Team
- Brochure: Protecting Livestock when Disaster Strikes
- Brochure: TAHC's Role in Emergency Management